Frequently Asked Questions
- → What is Skyrove?
- → Do I qualify to get a hotspot at my location?
- → How do I sign up for a hotspot?
- → I already have a Wi-Fi solution. How much will it cost me to switch to you?
- → I already have internet for private usage at my hotel/restaurant/guest house. Can I use this existing network to set up a Skyrove Wi-Fi hotspot?
- → Your internet service is unshaped. What does this mean?
- → How much does it cost to setup a Skyrove hotspot at my location?
- → Why does your price go up the bigger my location is?
- → What’s the difference between the Plus and the Basic plan?
- → Which plan is right for me?
- → What does the monthly cost include?
- → How will you bill me?
- → Will my staff and I need to pay to use the Wi-Fi internet once it’s installed?
- → Can I set up multiple hotspots?
+ Setting up my hotspot
+ Running my hotspot
- → How much will it cost for my guests to use my hotspot?
- → How do my guests get online?
- → How do my guests pay for internet usage at my hotspot?
- → How do I get prepaid vouchers to sell to my guests?
- → Do you charge commission on vouchers that I sell?
- → Are my guests limited to how much data they can upload or download at my hotspot?
- → Can I give free internet to my guests?
- → Can my vouchers be used at any hotspot besides my own?
- → Can my staff and I use the same Wi-Fi network that my customers use?
- → How can I see which users are online?
- → How do I log into my account?
- → What if I need help?
- → What if my guests need help logging on to my hotspot?
- → How do I get online at a hotspot?
- → What packages can I buy?
- → How much does Skyrove charge for Internet usage?
- → How can I see what a particular hotspot charges per Megabyte?
- → How can I keep track of how many credits I’ve used?
- → Can I use my Skyrove account at other Skyrove hotspots?
- → Where can I find more Skyrove hotspots?
- → How long are my vouchers valid for?
- → What SMTP server should I use for my email program?
Skyrove is South Africa’s largest individual hotspot network provider, with over 500 hotspots around South Africa. As part of our network, you’ll be able to let your customers get online quickly and easily at your location – whether you run a hotel, guesthouse, restaurant, deli, apartment block, or anything in between.
Regardless of your size or business, you qualify to start your own Skyrove Wi-Fi hotspot at your location. So whether you’re a large hotel, a small coffee shop, or something in between, our Wi-Fi hotspots are the ideal way to add value to your guests.
Setting up a Skyrove hotspot is easy. Simply call us or email us, and we’ll find out more about the Wi-Fi solution you need. Once you’ve finalised your contract with us, we’ll set your hotspot up for you (including installing all the equipment you need at your location) and you’re ready to go!
It depends! Typically, a small venue (e.g. restaurant) installation costs as little as R2000. Additional equipment is usually required for larger venues.
Unfortunately not – we’ll set up a new network for you so that we can deliver a fully managed solution. We can, however use your existing Telkom ADSL line if you already have a contract with Telkom.
When your connection is shaped, Telkom prioritises basic web applications, so anything beyond standard browsing takes longer. With an unshaped account this restriction is removed, meaning that everything you or your customers do on the web is as fast as it can be.
You can choose from our two pricing plans for Skyrove: Basic, or Premium. Our basic solution starts from R595 a month, and our Premium solution starts from R1295 per month. The exact cost depends on how big your hotspot is – for example, if you have up to five rooms, your cost will be R595 a month for our basic solution. If your location is bigger than that, you’ll be charged more for any additional rooms.
We charge more for bigger locations as we need more than one router in order to give the entire area Wi-Fi coverage. Our most basic solution for up to 5 rooms only needs one router. For a larger location, we’ll quote you an exact price once we know your exact needs.
The Basic Package includes 20MB free daily access for your guests, whereas Premium hotspots provide 50MB daily. Furthermore, with the premium package we take care of the entire experience your guests have from end-to-end and we’ll even solve any Telkom line issues. With the basic package, you will be responsible for your own Telkom line and logging any faults.
Which plan you choose depends on how fast you want your customers’ internet to be. Note that the speed of your internet won’t affect how many people can log onto your network, how much data they can download or upload, or how big the coverage area is.
Our monthly fee usually includes network maintenance, technical support, and your monthly ADSL line fee. Our technical support team is also on hand for your guests should they have a problem at any Skyrove Wi-Fi hotspot.
Payment is made monthly via debit order from your account.
No. As part of your monthly cost, you’ll have access to a separate, secure network for you and your employees to use exclusively. Depending on your package we’ll give you up to 10 Gigs of data on this network per month.
Yes! There is no limit to how many hotspots you can set up. If you want to set up multiple hotspots, check whether you qualify for our Authorized Skyrove Partner Program. You will receive multiple benefits like higher revenue share, participation in competitions with attractive prizes, equipment discounts, marketing and sales support etc. Contact Us
Setting up my hotspot
We set up your hotspot for you – you don’t need to do anything. Once you’ve signed up, a member of our technical support team will come to your location to set up the network including any equipment you need. You’ll also be given a tutorial for logging in to your user account where you can do things like track online usage and print vouchers to sell to your customers.
In order for us to set up a Skyrove Wi-Fi hotspot at your location, all you need is a Telkom landline. We’ll provide all the rest of the technical equipment you need, such as routers and cables. We’ll also get the Telkom ADSL line installed on your behalf.
Yes. We’ll manage your hotspot and your charge will exclude your ADSL line rental. When your contract with Telkom expires, we’ll take over its management and will bill you for it along with the rest of your monthly fee.
Running my hotspot
Our pricing is structured per MB, in other words, your guests pay for how much data they use rather than how much time they spend online. This price is shown on the hotspot welcome screen when your guests access the hotspot.
When your guest is at your hotspot, they’ll open their own laptop or smartphone and be greeted with a Skyrove welcome screen. From there they can log on or buy Megabyte bundles.
Your guests can pay in two main ways: buying megabyte bundles from the Splash Page using a credit card, or by buying prepaid MB vouchers from you the hotspot owner.
When we set up your hotspot, we’ll give you a user account to which you can log in to buy and print vouchers using your own credit card or your available balance. After you’ve bought your vouchers online, you’ll be able to print them straight away.
No. The vouchers are there purely for yours and your customers’ convenience. It costs exactly the same for your customers to buy credits online or to buy vouchers from you.
The only thing that limits them is the amount of MB they are willing to buy.
Yes! As part of your contract with us, you can print free vouchers that you can give to your guests at your own discretion. (20MB with our Basic Package, 50 MB with our Premium Package)
Free vouchers can only be used at your venue. Paid vouchers can be used at any Skyrove hotspot nationwide.
Yes, you can. As part of your contract with us, we set up a separate, secured network for you and your staff to use. In this network, you and your staff will have access to up to 10 Gigs (Premium) or 5 Gigs (Basic) of data per month.
When you sign up, we’ll give you an owner account where you can log in to see which users are online and the status of your network. You can also use this account to purchase vouchers and see how much revenue you’ve earned.
Go to www.skyrove.com and click on the “Customer Login” link in the top right hand corner. You’ll be able to see network statistics including usage stats, who’s online, and how much money you’re earning. You’ll also be able to print vouchers to sell to your guests.
Our technical support team is on hand to help you online or via our support line (0861 ROVERS) from 8am – 10pm on weekdays, and between 10am – 8pm on weekends.
We have a technical team available to help your customers should they need assistance while accessing your hotspot. They can either contact us via email to email@example.com, or by calling 0861 ROVERS between 8am and 10pm on weekdays, and between 10am and 6pm on weekends.
If you are at a hotspot, simply connect to the Skyrove network by opening a browser window. On the portal page that now comes up you can buy credits to access the Skyrove network in one of three ways:
- buy credits with your credit card
- type in a voucher number (ask the hotspot owner for a voucher)
- create an account and buy credits directly from the Skyrove website
With the exception of special offers, you can buy the following credit packages online:
- 100 MB for R25
- 500 MB for R55
- 1 GB for R85
- 2.5 GB for R145
- 5 GB for R270
- 10 GB for R429
- 20 GB for R699 **Promotion**
At a Skyrove hotspot, we charge you for the data you use (measured in Megabytes) rather than how much time you spend online. This means that if you’re doing things like sending and receiving emails or browsing a simple web page, you’ll spend less money than if you were watching a YouTube video or uploading a video clip.
The price that a hotspot charges per Megabyte is shown on the portal page of each hotspot and on our Hotspot Map. Simply click on the hotspot that you want to use to find out what it charges.
You’ll always be shown exactly how much data you have remaining via the Skyrove Status screen that you’ll see when you’re logged in.
Yes! You can use your Skyrove account and credits at any Skyrove hotspot in South Africa and worldwide. This is called roaming.
Visit our Hotspot Map to find all the Skyrove hotspots in your area.
There is no expiry date for your vouchers – they’re valid for as long as you have still have unused MB.
Your email application (e.g. Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird) might give you an error saying that ‘Relaying is not allowed’. When you log in at a Skyrove hotspot, your ISP will not be able to see that you are a legitimate customer and may therefore not allow you to use their email servers. (They do this to prevent spammers from using their servers) We recommend that you use your ISP’s online webmail service (most all ISPs provide this) or ask your ISP how to authenticate to their mail server, in order for them to recognize you as a legitimate user. In South Africa, you can also try the smtp.saix.net server.
Here’s a list of the common SMTP Servers
- Telkom ADSL – smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net OR smtp.saix.net
- Telkom Analogue Dial Up – smtp.saix.net OR smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net
- 8TA – smtp.saix.net
- MWEB ADSL – smtp.mweb.co.za OR smtp.mweb.net
- Vodacom 3G – smtp.vodamail.co.za OR smtp.vodacom.co.za
- MTN 3G – mail.mtn.co.za
- Cell C – mail.cmobile.co.za
- iBurst – smtp.iburst.co.za
- IS ADSL – smtp.isdsl.net
- IS 3G – smtp.isgsm.net OR smtp.dial-up.net
- Goggaconnect – smtp.vodamail.co.za OR smtp.vodacom.co.za
- Neotel – smtp.neomail.co.za
- ABSA – smtp.absamail.co.za OR mail.absa.co.za
- @lantic – smtp.lantic.net
- Nexus ADSL – smtp.isdsl.net
- NetActive – smtp.netactive.co.za
- Polka – smtp.polka.co.za
- Web Africa – smtp.wa.co.za
- Afrihost – smtp.afrihost.co.za
- Vox – smtp.lantic.net
- Cybersmart – smtpauth2.cybersmart.co.za OR smtp.cybersmart.co.za
- Nokia/OVI – smtp.mail.ovi.com OR smtp.mail.yahoo.com