10 Questions for the Experts…
Name: Tim Elston
- Position at Skyrove: Technical Manager
- Time with Skyrove: 4 Years
- Favourite Online / PC Game: Hmm, tough one. Dota 2 for old times sake.
- What is a Wi-Fi Network: A device or collection of devices linked together to access the internet or share data.
- What is an AP: An access point. A device that broadcasts and manages Wi-Fi Networks.
- What is backhaul: A rather broad industry term, usually used to describe a primary internet connection.
- Favourite hardware to use for conferences / events: There is no brand that I would single out. I like to use a blend of Ruckus and Meraki hardware, with perhaps a dash of Mikrotik to spice it up in some special cases. Meraki for their well-rounded cloud management platform which allows for efficient end user management. Ruckus for their, in my opinion, unparalleled Wi-Fi hardware, keeping everyone connected when crowd density and RF interference become factors.
- Favourite event you have worked on: The annual Google South Africa conference.
- Why has conference / event Wi-Fi become so popular: I imagine it is because people like the internet, no? There are a number of factors that play a part. Allowing delegates to stay connected and work on the go, promoting your message via social media, analytics through Wi-Fi, the list goes on.
- Have you ever done an event at a venue with existing Wi-Fi: Yes.
- Position at Skyrove: Network Technician.
- Time with Skyrove: Approximately 4 Years.
- Favourite Online / PC Game: Counterstrike GO, Call of Duty, Broforce.
- What is a Wi-Fi Network: Sorcery.
- What is an AP: Google says its a radio station…
- What is backhaul: Is this an interview?
- Favourite hardware to use for conferences / events: I like Meraki for its intuitive cloud based dashboard and powerful range of devices. Ruckus when you just need solid Wi-Fi that wont let you down.
- Favourite event you have worked on: TEDx events are great as they are informative. No harm in learning something new while you work!
- Why has conference / event Wi-Fi become so popular: Everyone has a handheld device, tablets, phones etc. Wi-Fi at events these days is less of a value added service and more of a necessity. Clients wanting to promote their brand/event have to take advantage of the online presence and having delegates live Tweet / Facebook / Instagram at their events is very powerful.
- Have you ever done an event at a venue with existing Wi-Fi: Yes, at a conference center. Skyrove’s Wi-Fi worked much better. [NOTE: I am not being biased :)]
Name: Adam Barnard
Name: Kudzi Jirira
1. Position Skyrove: Junior Technician
2. Time with Skyrove: 2 months
3. What is a Wifi Network: technology that allows electronic devices to connect to a wireless LAN (WLAN) network.
4. What is an Access Point: : Is a device that receives data by wired Ethernet and converts to a wireless signal. It sends and receives wireless traffic to and from nearby wireless clients.
5. Favorite hardware to use for conferences / events: I haven’t worked on any events.
6. Why has conference / Event wifi become so popular. Having internet allows people to stay connected and work on the go.
7. Have you ever done an event at a venue with existing Wi-Fi: No
8. What is your opinion on Mobile Wi-Fi solutions like our tour bus Wi-Fi: Its the future